Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Saving Money + Helping New Friends

Okay, I've been wanting to post this for a while, but it feels incomplete. Basically, I took on a challenge of making all our dinners one day of the month. I LOVE FREEZER DINNERS! I have not made dinner for several days and yet we have had lasagna, chicken enchiladas (like three times), and chicken and brown rice soup. I feel totally accomplished and unexpectedly, I feel really prepared. We can participate significantly in last-minute dinner parties as well as help people in tough circumstances. I'll actually be starting over again probably today because we're giving all our meals to a family in our ward.

Listen up because this is important: a young couple in our ward had a fiasco (to say the least) two days ago. Their home burned to the ground and they didn't have renter's insurance.

If that wasn't enough, the stress of the situation put the mom into early labor... I can't even imagine how hard that would be. I keep thinking about how this means they probably don't have anything their [unexpectedly] new baby needs. This is insane.

Someone set up a Gofundme account for them, so if there is anything you can do to help, I'm sure they would really appreciate it.
Can't believe this happened to someone I know.
Click to donate!
As for freezer meals, we made five different meals and an extra:
1. Spinach Florentine Lasagna
2. Chicken Enchiladas
3. Salsa Chicken
4. Angel Hair Tetrazzini
5. Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
6. Extra shredded chicken

I used mostly trusted recipes (I.e., they came from my mother-in-law's cookbooks)

I made about 15 meals. I tripled each recipe. This was surprising cheap! When I get a second, I will post my recipes as well as my shopping list. 

I mostly post this prematurely to spread the word for this family. They could definitely use some help right now.

No comments :

Post a Comment